Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Emily Dress

Today I woke up like a kid on Christmas morning.  I woke up on my own at 8:00 (this doesn't even happen on a work day) and couldn't go back to sleep knowing that later that morning I would be trying on loads of dresses to find "the one".  I made appointments at two different stores.  While I had heard bad things about one of them, and was unsure myself about going there, I managed to find an amazing dress at this store with the help of my consultant, Angie.  With the support of my mom, sisters, soon to be mother-in-law, maid of honor, and roommate, I found the dress of my dreams.

The first dress I tried on was the one I was looking so forward to wearing.  I loved it because it had an empire waist- and it had pockets- but the general reaction was "eh".  I was bummed but pressed forward.  The second dress, while different and very fun, was just not doing it for me.  Then, the third dress came.  It was unfortunate that I didn't have a mirror in the room I was getting dressed in.  I had to rely on seeing my mom's reaction to the dress before I could even have a reaction for myself.  I came out in the dress and turned to look at myself (not as conceited as it sounds).  Once I finished fiddling with it and "floofing" it, I took a minute to really look at myself in this dress and let it sink in. Within about 2.5 seconds I did what I had sworn up and down I wouldn't do.  The waterworks began.  This caused a chain reaction to everyone in my entourage.  I knew in my heart that this dress was meant to be mine.  But in my head, in true "Say Yes to the Dress" fashion, I knew that I should still try on a few more before really making such a huge decision.

After some more hits and misses, and one potential front runner over dress #3, I went back to that dress.  I decided to add some personal touches to it and see what it would look like with a hair piece.  Well, once the accessories were in place and the dress was clipped to fit, I stood up on the circle pedestal and looked at myself (again). In that moment I knew that without a doubt this had to be my dress.  It was made for me- I just know it.

After lots of tears, figuring out that I could still bust a move in the dress, and $200 off, I made the best decision ever (besides deciding to marry Brian, of course) and purchased the dress.  Once I got home I looked up the dress online.  Looking at it online does NOT do it justice. I had looked at all the dresses on the site multiple times and had overlooked it every time.  It looks nothing like the real thing and I am so glad that Angie brought it to me to try on.

Besides the excitement of sharing this once in a lifetime moment with such amazing people in my life, the other best part of my day was a text I received from Brian.  In the midst of the stress and craziness of finding a dress, I managed to find a second to check my phone.  I had a text message waiting from Brian that said, "Remember to have fun.  Don't stress.  I love you.".  Between that text and the idea of marrying Brian in that phenomenal dress, and having my friends and family there with me to share in this time, I knew that I was the luckiest girl in the world.

Tomorrow we are picking flowers.  Part of me suspects that this could prove to be more stressful than dress shopping ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment