Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It was bound to happen sometime.

Well, tonight I started packing. 
It was weird, but oddly, it wasn't too sad. 
Last night I finally had the "oh my goodness I am moving and leaving behind everything that is familiar and normal to me" moment
Last night I was sad. 
I had a cry on the phone with Brian, and then I moved on. 
Tonight I packed.  Tonight I was not sad.

Truth be told, I was wondering when it would really hit me that I was moving.  I wondered if it would be when I packed the last thing from my room into my car, or when I finally settled into the new place.  I knew it had to hit me at one point, and this time it happened on the way home from dinner with an old friend.  It hit me like a ton of bricks. 

My job was posted internally yesterday after turning in my month notice a week ago.  I think that is when it really became real. 
I was quitting my job, and I was moving. 
My whole identity as Educational Outreach Manager at Girl Scouts of Western Ohio from Newport, KY was being taken away with one letter. 

For the first time ever, I am venturing out on my own (well, with Brian) without a real plan.  While this freaks me out to my very core, I am also looking forward to not having a real plan and seeing where life takes me.  I was given the option of staying up here and stretching things out a little longer with work and everyday life.  As appealing as this sounded to me since it was devastating to turn in my notice, I know that I need to move on.  I feel so unsettled right now going back and forth all the time. 

As sad as I might feel about moving and as stressed as this all makes me, I know that what is to come will make up for all of this.  The sadness and stress are only going to be around for a little while, but will lead to excitement and a lifetime of happiness (or so they say).  I've got a great support system from my family, friends, current co-workers, and new friends.  I feel very lucky to have all of them on board as I handle all of these life changes.

As sad as I am to leave my job, I was reminded today (by my GS BFF) that I have made a difference in the time I was in my position.  Not just on the girls, but on the organization itself.  I was able to do things that others couldn't before, as well as try new things to ensure that relationships were built and goals were met.  She told me that I should feel proud of all the things I had accomplished and understand that I made a difference.  I needed to hear that and realize that I was leaving in a good place.  I am leaving my job while still loving it, and for that I feel very fortunate.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment