Friday, March 23, 2012

Let's give this a whirl.

Today I am in Cincinnati.  Well, Newport; but it's close enough.  As I look out my bedroom window to the hustle and bustle of good old 471, I think of how familiar everything here is.  The noise, while making it difficult to hear my roommate in the not so far off kitchen, is something that has become soothing to me as I fall asleep at night.  Every once in awhile I'll hear a semi go by in the middle of the night.  Even though it wakes me it never startles me, but rather just reminds me that life is still going on outside while I am sleeping.  It's easy to say that I will miss my friends and family when I move to the "ville", but I will also miss the familiarity of the everyday-including the noises and nuances that come with daily life here.

But let me back up.  I'm engaged!  Yay!  After a pretty cute proposal during a wine tour in Epcot, I will soon become a bride to the most amazing guy.  I don't plan on getting too "gushy" because it's not my style, but he truly is wonderful.  You will most likely never hear me use the word "wife" either.  It makes me feel old and I don't like the way it sounds.  So, until I can come up with something else I will be a fiance, bride, etc. 

So back to the proposal.  Everyone asks so I figure I will explain it all here in one place so that everyone knows the story....

My parents are snowbirds and head to Florida in early January.  They were going to Panama for two months before heading to Orlando for a two week trip on the way back home.  My mom and dad opened up their condo to me and my sisters if we wanted to come down for a vacation to visit Disney World.  After talking to Brian we decided "why the heck not?!" and made plans to go down there and visit.  The time finally came for the trip.  The first day we arrived we went to Downtown Disney and did the "pool thing" to rest up for our two day park hopper craziness.  On that Sunday Brian and I ventured to Hollywood Studios in the morning to start our day!  After we had finished our trip there, we decided that we had enough time to go to Animal Kingdom before heading to my favorite Disney park- Epcot. 

By the time we got to Epcot, we had had enough of crying kids and strollers and decided to take a more adult approach to the Disney experience by partaking in a world drinking tour in the World Showcase area.  It all started with margaritas in Mexico, followed by beer in Germany, and Bellinis in Italy.  While in Italy, we found this nice area that overlooked the lake and was actually a quiet spot.  A quiet spot in Disney!? It's true.  We found a nice spot near a fountain and decided to sit and enjoy our drinks. Apparently, it crossed Brian's mind that he wanted this spot to be where he proposed.  But, with my impatience and wanting to move on to the next country, combined with him knowing of my dream to go to Paris, he thought he would give France a chance to be "the spot". 

So, we made it to France.  At this point I was still clueless as to what was going on in his head.  I did, however, find it odd that he kept asking me if I liked the overlook in France better, or the one in Italy.  I was getting somewhat annoyed that he kept asking me and kept replying saying, "I mean, both are pretty nice- it's just really nice out."  I assume I wasn't helping.  We went into France to get some wine and low and behold they had an Epcot wine tour.  Brian insisted we partake in it even though I kept saying, "You don't even like wine?!".  He bought our ticket and we got our wine in France.  Sidenote, Brian had insisted we get the tour because it took us back to yup- you guessed it- Italy.

We got back to Italy, got our wine and decided it was obviously delicious.  We went back to where we had been sitting before.  He turned me around and pulled on both my hands and I kind of just knew what was going to happen.  He said all kinds of nice things and then asked me to marry him (while down on one knee).  I responded by saying "obviously" rather than "yes", but made sure to add a "yes" in later.  I finally told him that hugging him while he was on one knee was awkward and insisted he stand up.  While he was in the middle of rising I exclaimed, "Well, I want to wear the RING!!!" and had him put it on.  We then made the phone calls to family and friends, went and bought a bottle of the wine we were drinking when he asked me, and walked around until our shuttle came to get us.

A lady at the park found us and gave us "Just Engaged" buttons to wear throughout the park.  We wore them proudly that night and the entire next day at the Magic Kingdom.  It was overwhelming to hear all the "congratulations" from the workers, other Disney guests and the characters.  It was pretty magical.  I'd like to think our future kids will think it is pretty awesome that mom and dad got engaged at Disney World :).


So, in staying true to fashion, my mom and I pretty much had everything planned in our heads by the morning after our engagement.  Within a week of being back from vacation I had a date, venue, photographer and a dress appointment.  My mom has taken care of practically everything else which has been super helpful since I have been busy trying to figure out the when and how of moving to Louisville.  While it will be hard to leave Cincinnati- especially with the new Moerlein Lager House that was built- I am excited to embark on a new adventure.  I really do love Louisville and all the fun and "newness" that it has to offer.  The atmosphere there fits me very well and I am excited to create a homebase there while never forgetting that my friends and family- my home- is but a mere 90 miles north.

If this post kept your interest, stay tuned for all of the fun that is to come as I transition from a single gal, to an old married lady ;)

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwww! And- great minds think alike: this is my blog template too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, Em. :) Look forward to seeing more. You will learn to love a different place and be able to remember all the things you love and hate about Cincinnati. You're going to love married life. :)

    ReplyDelete